SYMPTOMS AND TRIGGERS OF ACID INDIGESTION
HERE’S WHAT “ACID INDIGESTION” MEANS
When excess stomach acid leaks into your esophagus, it can cause the burning and pain that leads to heartburn.
Acid indigestion is a general term that covers a wide range of digestive issues. Acid indigestion or acid reflux occurs when too much stomach acid flows backwards into the esophagus. Heartburn is a symptom of acid indigestion.
THESE ARE SOME SYMPTOMS OF ACID INDIGESTION
Feeling uncomfortable fullness
Sometimes acid indigestion can be the sign of a more serious condition. Speak to your healthcare professional if you experience:
Blood in vomit
Weight loss or loss of appetite
Difficult or painful swallowing
Shortness of breath, sweating, or pain that radiates from the jaw, neck, or arm
Symptoms that persist for more than two weeks
SOME OF THE THINGS THAT CAN TRIGGER ACID INDIGESTION
Your favorite foods may never cause a problem. But sometimes you can eat too much of a good thing. So your stomach has to produce extra acid to digest all that food, and the result can be uncomfortable acid indigestion.
But there are lots of common foods and beverages that can trigger acid indigestion even if you don’t consume that much. And there are lifestyle habits that can cause it too.
Tips for avoiding acid indigestion
Rolaids® helps keep your lifestyle from ruining your lifestyle. But you can make smart decisions that can help avoid acid indigestion in the first place.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Try to limit the foods and beverages that worsen symptoms
- Eat less fatty, spicy food
- Eat less fried, greasy food
- Drink less coffee
- Drink fewer carbonated drinks
- Be aware about prescription medication that can cause acid indigestion. Speak to your healthcare professional about other options.
- Eat smaller, more frequent meals, so your stomach doesn't get too full.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes. Tight jeans may look great, but they’re tough on a full stomach.
- Avoid stressful situations, especially right after eating.
- Get plenty of rest. It will reduce the stress and fatigue that can make indigestion worse.
- Avoid smoking cigarettes.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Be aware of your weight. Excess weight can make symptoms worse. So if you are overweight, consider talking to your healthcare provider about a safe weight loss program.
ROLAIDS® IS HERE TO HELP
Fortunately, the two active ingredients in Rolaids® — calcium carbonate and magnesium hydroxide — deliver effective, rapid relief for your heartburn, sour stomach, acid indigestion and upset stomach associated with these symptoms.
*Ask a doctor or a pharmacist before use if you are now taking a prescription drug. Antacids may interact with certain prescription drugs.
ADVANCED ANTACID PLUS ANTI-GAS
ROLAIDS® ADVANCED ANTACID PLUS ANTI-GAS
Our triple-ingredient formula works fast to relieve symptoms of heartburn, acid indigestion, and gas related to these symptoms.
ROLAIDS® ULTRA STRENGTH
Our dual-ingredient formula works fast to relieve symptoms of heartburn and acid indigestion.
ROLAIDS® EXTRA STRENGTH
Soothe the burn to achieve acid-neutralizing heartburn and acid indigestion relief.