- <strong>What is heartburn?</strong>
Heartburn is a burning discomfort in the mid-chest due to stomach acid irritating the sensitive lining of the esophagus. learn more.
- <strong>What does heartburn feel like?</strong>
The following are common heartburn symptoms:
- Burning pain between the breastbone and throat
- Feeling of food or liquid rising into the throat
- Acidic or bitter taste at the back of the throat
- Worsening of pain when bending or lying down
- <strong>What causes heartburn?</strong>
Heartburn occurs when stomach acid flows backwards through the lower esophageal sphincter (LES) and into the esophagus, usually due to the LES not working properly. A number of lifestyle and dietary factors can contribute to this condition. Visit our Heartburn Triggers page to learn more.
- <strong>Why does Rolaids<sup>®</sup> contain both calcium and magnesium?</strong>
Isn’t two better than one? All of our products contain both Calcium carbonate and Magnesium hydroxide, two powerful acid-neutralizing ingredients that contain calcium and magnesium, essential minerals your body needs. Tums® and many other antacid products only contain one.
- <strong>What are the differences between the three acid relief product categories?</strong>
- Antacids neutralize existing stomach acid and offer rapid but comparably short-term relief of heartburn, acid indigestion and sour stomach.
- H2 blockers partially block the production of acid in the stomach and offer relief or prevention of heartburn symptoms for up to 12 hours. These medicines can take several hours to work fully and are not intended for immediate relief.
- Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) work by shutting down the active acid pumps in the cells of the stomach. These medicines can take 1-4 days to work fully and are not intended for occasional relief.
- <strong>Is heartburn ever serious?</strong>
We’ve heard heartburn sufferers say that heartburn is always serious. Why? Because it limits your ability to enjoy life and the foods you want to enjoy. That’s why Rolaids® exists! To let you be you! However, if your heartburn is persistent and unresponsive to medication it could be the result of a more serious condition known as Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, or GERD. Without the proper medical attention, GERD can lead to asthma, chronic cough, pneumonia and ulcers of the esophagus (esophagitis). If your heartburn is severe or persistent, consult your healthcare professional for advice and treatment.
- <strong>Can I take Rolaids<sup>®</sup> if I’m pregnant?</strong>
If you experience heartburn symptoms while pregnant, consult with your healthcare professional and ask if Rolaids® can help.
The good news is that if your healthcare provider approves the use of antacids Rolaids® can help with your heartburn! Rolaids® contains two ingredients that are beneficial for a healthy pregnancy – calcium and magnesium.* Each serving of Rolaids® provides a source of calcium and magnesium to supplement your body’s nutritional needs during pregnancy.**
**This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
**Please note: Rolaids® is NOT an alternative to prenatal vitamins.
- <strong>Is Rolaids<sup>®</sup> gluten free?</strong>
Yes! We have tested all Rolaids® products including the Tablets, Softchews and Liquids and all meet the guidelines for gluten free labeling.